Blergh! Moisture Infused Pork Is Crap!

Am I the only one who thinks that "moisture infused pork" is smeg? I bought a couple of pork steaks a couple of months back, and allowed myself to be talked into the moisture infused version, on the info provided that they were "tastier, juicier, more succulent and easier to cook". Sounds great - although in the back of my mind a little voice was saying "it's just soaked in water, you moron! Don't you rant about how meat is being soaked in water to make it heavier, and therefore better value for the supplier? Don't you? Huh?!?"

I cooked it up that night, and served it forth with veggies and gravy or sauce of some kind, and I was very, very disappointed. The meat was, as promised, juicy and succulent. It was also really salty (that would be on account of the brine), really lacking in any other flavour, and the texture... well, the texture is a whole 'nother story. Have you ever had reconstituted meat? When they have taken "genuine pig parts" (or other animal) ground it up and reformed it into a meat-like product? Yup, I think everyone has. You know how it's a little bit... spongy? Yup, well that's what the "moisture infused pork" was like. Obviously the brine is forced into the meat under pressure, or it would just cook out. This high pressure "infusion" makes the meat spongy. In hindsight, it seems pretty obvious to me. Pity I wasted a perfectly good meal on it.

The reason I bring this up now is that I popped into the shopping centre at Winston Hills on the way home from work, and they have a nice butcher there. Not one of the really high-end ones, but they seem to have a good quality of product. I was going to buy some pork, until I realised that (in small, hard to read writing) all of the little plastic signs with the cut of pork and the price on them were labelled "moisture infused". So I asked the chap if all of their pork was so. Yes, says he. Ugh, says I. He tried rather half-heartedly to tell me that he has tried it and it's very nice, but I think he could see that I wasn't going to be convinced. So I sold my soul and went and bought some at Coles (for which I will no doubt burn in the fiery pits of hell for all eternity)

What really worries me is that this is the "future" for all pork. I did a Google search on the subject, and nearly all of it was industry stuff, and overwhelmingly positive, or blogs, and overwhelmingly positive. I did find one blog that panned the whole idea a bit, but only one site in ten pages of entries. That's really worrisome. Funnily enough, Speedy, if you read this, there were comments from you on this blog. Even on the interwebz, it's a small world.

I know that some of you are prolly thinking "SERVE YOU RIGHT, YOU HEINOUS BITCH! DON'T YOU KNOW HOW PIGS ARE REARED FOR MEAT PRODUCTION THESE DAYS?!?". And you would be right again. I just haven't been able to wean myself off the meat of the magical pig just yet, and haven't found a free-range pork supplier anywhere in the area.

Why do they keep fucking with our food? Can't it just be food again? Why does it have to be science?

Anyone?

Anyone?!?

7 comments:

Yvonne said...

Ewww, I've never heard of it before, but it sounds rather unappealing. Funnily enough, we just had pork for dinner and it was very tasty (even it the kids didn't think so) - from Otway Pork, which is a free-range producer down here. I'm not sure whether they stock it in NSW, but down here you can get it at Coles and Thomas Dux, among others. Good luck with finding a decent pork supplier.

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

heh. you'd be talking about ProgDin, wouldn'tcha? Zoe rocks, I love her blog. she's linked off ForBattle you know.

what we do is get a couple more people and buy half a pig off the net from happy happy pig people. I bought happy happy cow off the net before Xmas. I also bought our happy happy Xmas ham from a butcher in Ryde who delivers happy happy meat. I suspect the net is the future ;-)

Mz. B.Trousers said...

I'd be in that. Let me know?

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

yeah, for sure, been thinking about it for a while. let me do some research. the site I bought the happy happy cow does pig as well but they don't always guarantee free-range.

btw to me, happy happy = free range, grass fed, no hormones, little/no other chemicals. I can't afford organic, but this is pretty close, which I am sure they are relying on. I think there's a lot of businesses which are very close to organic but can't afford to certify. is good?

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

apparently is hard to buy bulk free range pork. apparently free range pork means a few different things because there's no regulation. need more info.

Wenchilada said...

Soggy pig sounds about as appetising as not-bacon!

anita said...

Moisture infused!!!?? What shit they sneak into our lives.i love pork and am very worried about this new trend.as far as I can see it destroys all flavour and texture,its full of salt and I'm a bit of a salt addict but PLEASE! I'm a chef and there is no good in this sure it keeps longer but that's preservatives yes. They are also doing this to our chicken did you know?! Not to mention the fact that alot of people I know that have eaten this SHIT get the runs hemmm now what does that say to your poor belly.l want real pork and I hope that not all pig farmers follow this road. Surely not