The awesomeness of Paddle Pops

No really, they are Teh Awesome.

I haven't had a PP in years, and after helping a bit with Feral Cheryl's moving on Sunday (on a day that was no less than 247% humidity) I was in need of an icy treat. I am happy to report that not only are they still reasonably priced, but they really do taste as good as they did when I was ten. I had thought that they would be a bit like all nostalgia - better in your memory than in actuality, but I was pleasantly surprised.

So, whilst I was slurping down my yummy ice confection*, I read the nutritional and ingredients info (like you do when you are thirtysomething, but not something that worries you when you are ten), and was even more pleasantly surprised. They are not actually an ice-cream, they are more of a milk ice. Made mostly out of food ingredients, rather than numbers, and involving quite a lot of skim milk, they are also only about 5% fat, and about 5% of the RDI of kilojoules. Pwah!

So I enjoyed my almost entirely guilt-free Paddle Pop very much (and bought a box of them at the supermarket yesterday - they worked out to be abut 55 cents each, which is barely more than double what we paid for them from the corner shop in 1979). It's nice when sometimes the good things from your childhood are still roxor when you are nearly....erm, I mean years and years away from being forty.

I know this sounds a bit like blatant advertising for ice-cream manufacturers, but in this case I am prepared to tip my hat to the continued awesomeness that is the humble Paddle Pop, and may they still be awesome in another thirty years.

*OK, ok, I actually had two, because I couldn't decide between banana and chocolate. They both tasted exactly as I remember them. They were yummy. I enjoyed eating them a lot.

7 comments:

Dawn said...

Ya, paddle pops are fab. I only like the choc ones and I do wish they didn't put stupid 160b in them.

Mousicles said...

Indeed. Paddle pops are cunning. When every other ice confection costs a fortune and tries to pack extra nuts, chocolate, salt, sugar, etc into everything, it is good to find something simple and satisfying. The old lemonade ice blocks are pretty cunning too. It's a treat and it's cold and you don't have to feel too guilty about it.

Mayela said...

I got to BE the paddle pop lion and hand out free paddle pops to kidsin December! But I made the kids dance for their ice cream.

See:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4657908&l=385539c592&id=677711270

Mz. B.Trousers said...

I'm a bit keen on FC's idea of making your own. But I've had no luck finding the moulds. If anyone sees any, can you grab some for me?

GB said...

I have to disagree with you on the taste - the banana ones aren't anywhere near as good as I remember them.

The chocolate ones on the other hand are still as awesome as when we were kids.

Vive la Paddle Pop!

Wenchilada said...

We have them here too. They are NOWHERE near as good as the ones back home and they come in weird flavours and textures (Paddle Pops shouldn't wobble. They just shouldn't)

spyder said...

Banana.
Added bonus- Noodle doesn't like them.