The despondency dog

The past few days have seen a big dog sniffing around, looks black, but is actually just dark blue in the sunlight. He wanted to let me know (in the nicest possible way, of course) that despite years of experience, and quite good skills, no-one wanted to give me a job. I have been for a couple of interviews, only to be told that I am overqualified for the position. A couple of agencies that I would have thought would have something on their books are proving to be dead-ends. I sent numerous applications off via Seek on Friday, and got only one response this week, despite this tactic working quite well last week. I still have an interview lined up for this Friday, so keep your fingers crossed for me!

Anyhoo, today was shaping up to be a lovely day, so I kicked the DD in the nuts and told him to bugger off. A bit of gardening, a bit of tidying, a bit of washing, a bit of being followed all over the yard by the chickens, and all is right with the world again. In a rather exciting fashion, the veggie patch delivered all the veggies for dinner tonight, and most of my salad for lunch. I am still needing to think of interesting ways to serve silverbeet though - I like it, but R thinks it tastes like sick, so there has been a lot of disguising it with bacon...

I still wish someone would just give me money to stay at home.

5 comments:

Mousicles said...

Don't give up yet. It might take a while for the right person to be handed your resume. I remember the last time a went job hunting and it didn't look too good for a little while. And when I sent off the resume to my current employer I got an email back asking for an interview the next day within minutes of sending the email.

More details of chickens. Names please. Photos. How old, when did you get them and are the laying yet?

AutumnHeart said...

Bummer that it's taking so long; the 'overqualified' responses seem a bit rotten.

What kind of work are you looking for? And full time, or part time?

Krin said...

Job hunting is bleh! I agree. Wiating, hoping, not really knowing what they want in order to convince them that you're awesome and can do everything!

Incidentally, I've been looking into online businesses recently for Jed's art and have come across the concept of Virtual Assistant, i.e. someone who free-lances themselves as an organisational/admin person to a variety of small-medium businesses. Might be something to look into as a way of generating income while waiting for a more traditional job? Or even as an alternative to a traditional job as it would let you stay home and do those things you just mentioned you'd like to be paid to do. Drop me an email if you want more detail/pointers

Mz. B.Trousers said...

You're a clever monkey. My dog is more persistant. Keep throwing salad and sunshine, I hear they hate that!

Mayela said...

"Overqualified" is a big reason at the moment as many buisinesses are concerned that once the job market picks up, the overqualified person they took on board now, will simply up and leave for a better position. So, here's where i admit my complete daginess, i watch Sunrise of a morning. There was a piece on employment/ job seeking and stepping down to a less stress position and dealing with being 'overqualified'. It was a good month or so ago but they had good suggestions on how to step around or re-frame your level of qualification. Maybe it's worth searching their site for the article to get some ideas, they're quite good at keeping all their stories and info sheets online.