Green grows my bogling fork! Part II

I don't think it quite got up to the 28 degrees that the BoM was promising for Parramatta today, but I am wearing a singlet top as we speak, so it's still quite pleasantly warm.

I have had a very productive day. I have spent a portion of the last few days preparing the garden beds - shifting soil, digging up weeds, digging in fertiliser, etc - and today I got to put things in them! Things that got planted:
  • tomatoes - 3 different kinds
  • lettuces
  • snow peas
  • beetroots
  • silverbeet (Rusty reckons he's going to try to poison them when I'm not looking)
  • broccoli
  • rhubarb
  • rasberry cane
  • gooseberry bush
  • two apple trees (granny smith and pink lady. You have to have at least 2 for cross pollination)
  • thyme - lemon and regular
  • oregano
I've got a bunch of seeds to plant in the next couple of days too.

I finally went to the little nursery on the corner of Great Western and Cumberland highways, opposite the F1 hotel. I always thought it was a bit small and pointless, so never managed to go. I am really glad that I finally gave it a shot. They are a bit small, but have the most amazing range of fruit trees/bushes and herbs that I have ever seen! Lots of really olde-worlde and European herbs that I have never seen at commercial nurseries - lovage, tansy, feverfew, rue, mustard greens, curry plant, fuzzy thyme, pyrethrum, and a whole lot more that I can't remember. Really cool stuff. They also have rasperries, gooseberries (that were only $12, hence me buying some to give them a go), blueberries, red and blackcurrants, and miniature peaches and pears. Not regular dwarfing, but miniature - tiny, tiny peach trees. So cute.

All in all, a very productive day. Now, just have to maintain this level of productive...

I can haz sleeps nao?

3 comments:

Mz. B.Trousers said...

Thanks for testing the water at that nursery! I think I might have to have a look.
I wonder if I can have raspberries?

Hunydd said...

Come for lunch! We can haz adventures!

Small, safe adventures, but adventures none the less...

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

when I first moved in here I tried canes of all the usual berry suspects. I think only the gooseberry did any good and even then, it mostly languished... you'll have better luck out there because it gets colder at night, but in general I've always thought that these sort of plants respond to areas which get frosts.