Guerilla gardening

Was watching the teev this evening, and channel 10's Guerilla Gardeners came on. My interest was piqued, because they were doing the little quadrangle in Newtown across the road from the Bank Hotel. This one:It ended up with a purple gazebo on the little octagon thingy, and new turf, and plants and stuff. Looked pretty funky. Unfortunately, there isn't a pic of the result.

What really got me though, was that I walked passed this area last Tuesday, and it wasn't there then. So not only the garden happened really quickly, but the post production of the show.

Weird.

Update:

OK, so I just missed it. I have been reliably informed that it was done ages ago and all got ripped out for being dead and/or unsafe. I did say it seemed a bit weird...

4 comments:

Mayela said...

Actually, I've seen that many times and it has been looking incredibly shabby for a long time. Perhaps the Council finally ripped it out. The pagoda was not safe, was rickety and had kids playing on it fairly frequently.

Last week was the Annandale site which they did in October last year, so I imagine Newtown was done around then too. Did they have a guy Dan from the Newtown Canservatory advising them on plants? He was filmed for the show back in October so I'm wondering when his episode will turn up, tonight might have been the night.

For the record, the Annandale site also now looks shabby, hardly any of the plants survived. And I've seen the one on Cleveland street with the VW and it's looking fairly overgrown too. You might have noticed I'm not a fan, but that might be because I work for a Council and can see the other side of their 'beautifying' ways.

GB said...

I have seen the pergola/pergoda/big purple thing from across the street and just assumed council got their act into gear and did something to pretty up the place.

I don't watch the show. I saw the first one and noticed that without maintenance the garden would look shabby eventually, just like any other garden. I can understand now why the Sutherland council got rid of the one in Jannali.

Hunydd said...

Well there you go! I don't generally watch it either, I was in the kitchen when it came on and heard them talk about Newtown, so i thought I'd see what they were up to.

Obviously I wasn't in Newtown immediately after the makeover, and missed seeing it in-situ. I thought it sounded too quick.

I have also gone back and updated all of the dreadful spelling mistakes. I blame trying to type and watch telly at the same time.

Mz. B.Trousers said...

I swear the pagaoda was there last Friday night! Dunno about flowers.