Miffed

:Sulk:

I have a length of black linen that I want to make a summer weight day-dress (tourney frock) from. What I would really like to trim it with is pink - not bubblegum, but a nice dusky rose. I have looked at many, many pictures, and the only colours that black frocks were trimmed with in 16thC Germany were white, gold,Hello, you look familiar...

or,

(wait for it)

more black.

Aaargh! Why don't you people have some imagination!

So, what do you reckon? Should I be true to form and trim my frock in gold, or should I "accidentally" make it the way I want it, and just shout "Oooh look, an elephant!" any time someone asks me about my colour choice?

The first person to offer to alleviate my problem by taking the linen off my hands, or tell me I should do a stinky eye-tye, will get a boxed ear for their trouble. So there.

:Continue sulk:

4 comments:

AutumnHeart said...

I think that as nice as the pink would look, I suspect you're likely to be uncomfortable in something that you can't document, which could make wearing it less fun...

I actually rather like the black-on-black in the last picture: particularly since black linen has a nasty tendency to fade to charcoal grey if it sees strong sunlight. If your trim is a contrasting texture, then that would still work even if the fabric does fade, or you could re-dye the frock without having to remove the trim... or perhaps I'm too much in engineer mode there :g:.

Mayela said...

I was thinking earlier of playing devil's advocate for you.

I think it would look very speccy with the pink, but I think AutumnHeart hit the nail on the head. I think ultimately you'd like the pink but conceed it isn't accurate and you may not feel 100% comfortable as a peer wearing inaccurate costume.

Or you might be a refreshing new face that reminds the society that it is a game and we're there to enjoy it pink and all.

So no real answer for you, sorry 'bout that.

Hunydd said...

Maybe.

I can't really document linen as outerwear, either. Particularly not in black.

I think I'm really just trying to justify it to myself...! "Hey, who put a red shirt in with the wash? Look what you've done to my black and white frock!"

I'm certainly not adverse to shouting "look, there's an elephant!" as an excuse to avoid sticky questions.

spyder said...

yay for stinky eye-tye!!!